Monday, June 23, 2014

Guest Post - Swing The Day Away

Hey there Small Town, Big Smile readers! My name is Sara and I blog over at Swing The Day Away. I am a budding librarian who loves all things nautical, bookish, and vintage. I'm also a devout tea drinker. While Jana is busy preparing for her wedding (eep!), she asked me and a bunch of other awesome bloggers to fill in for her. I thought I'd share my strawberry picking adventure with you all since fruit picking is one of the best parts of summer. :)

IMG_3370a
IMG_3392a
IMG_3406a
IMG_3389a
If you aren't familiar with me and my blog, then you don't know how much I love fruit picking. It's one of my favorite things to do and I always look forward to when the pick-your-own season begins. It always starts in mid-June with strawberries! While strawberries are the least pleasant to pick (they are low to the ground, so there's a lot of squatting involved), I still love picking them. There is nothing like fresh fruit! 
IMG_3371a
IMG_6124a
IMG_3412a
IMG_3462a
My boyfriend Chris and I went a couple of days after the season started, so we got a lot of good berries since they weren't all picked over yet. My method was to head a ways back down the rows since people probably tend to start in the front. It turns out that there were a lot of big and ripe strawberries back there! I didn't mean to pick as much as I did, but I couldn't help it. I kept finding really great ones!
IMG_3378a
IMG_3408a
IMG_3456a
IMG_3411a
I just got this shirt a couple of months ago at a vintage clothing expo. It's vintage, and it was only $5. I couldn't pass it up, especially with the strawberry print. It's way too big, so I figured I could just wear it like this with it tied at the waist. When I got it, I knew I'd have to wear it while strawberry picking. :)
IMG_3463a
IMG_3438a
IMG_3444a
IMG_3365a
I think I ended up picking about 4 pounds of strawberries. Yeah...I went a little overboard. I thought maybe I'd bake something with them, but I ended up just snacking on them for a week. Hey, it's better than snacking on Oreos or chips.
IMG_6130a
IMG_3472a
IMG_6131a
IMG_3421a
Shirt: Vintage//Skirt: BooHoo//Shoes: Payless
The next fruit that will be in season is blueberries. I have never really made a fruit pie before, and I really want to make a blueberry pie. I would love to do the whole lattice pie crust, but I'm not sure how easy or hard that is. I'll have to look into it. My favorite fruits to pick are raspberries and apples, but those won't come until a little later in the year. Raspberries are in August and apples are in September/October. I can't believe that the fall is only about 2 1/2 months away. It's crazy!
Do you have a favorite fruit that you either love to eat, love in a dessert, or love to pick? :)

4 comments:

  1. Oh, Sara, you are so darling in this. I love it- classic and feminine while still being very fun!

    I don't pick a lot of berries or fruit. Not that much grows around here, so it is not something that is available. I guess as a kid a few people had wild raspberry bushes...

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm obsessssed with that vintage strawberry top! Such an excellent find! I have to convince my mom to go strawberry picking this season. We used to go a lot when I was little (there was a place right by my house that used to do it, but they don't anymore), and I haven't been since!

    xox Sammi

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love strawberry picking just because its one of my favorite fruits! but it can be a pain with all the crouching. I love the strawberry print top! One of my favorite summer dresses is strawberry print!
    http://theredlipchronicles.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  4. oh what a lovely post! the strawberry picking and the matching shirt is just great!
    looks like you had a wonderful day!
    xo
    -maria

    PS.
    I'm hosting a shoe GIVEAWAY on my blog, go check it out lovely lady!


    City Laundry
    Twitter | Instagram

    ReplyDelete